Birth Doula Services
WHAT IS A BIRTH DOULA?
"Doula" is Greek for "a woman who serves." A doula helps the woman and her husband gather information about labor and their options during labor. A doula provides continuous emotional and physical support during labor and birth. She helps you feel safe and comfortable. A doula assists with comfort measures such as breathing, relaxation, movement, and positioning. A doula also provides continuous emotional reassurance throughout labor and delivery and the immediate postpartum period. She serves as an advocate to ensure parents have all the information needed to make informed decisions regarding their birth.
WHY USE A BIRTH DOULA?
Research shows that a doula’s presence at birth:
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about childbirth experience
- reduces the need for interventions (such as pitocin, forceps/vacuum extraction, and cesareans)
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Studies show that parents who receive doula support:
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater success with breastfeeding
- have greater self-confidence
- have less postpartum depression
HOW WILL WE GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER?
We will meet during the third trimester to prepare for your birth experience, but it is never too early to interview a doula and see if they are the right fit. Use the "Contact" button below to set up a free consult.
During the prenatal meetings, we will get to know each other. I will listen to your hopes, fears, and dreams for birth. I will answer questions, provide information and resources, and offer encouragement to build your confidence and ease your fears and anxieties surrounding the unknowns in childbirth. Most often, clients comment on my peaceful demeanor, calming presence, and hopeful encouragement.
HOW WILL WE WORK AS A TEAM?
A woman's husband knows her better than anyone else, and she needs him during labor. My role is NOT to take over for the husband, rather to enhance his ability to care for his wife. I may coach him through techniques to best support her during labor, or alternatively take on the brunt of physical labor support so he can do what he does best - love and comfort her through one of the most vulnerable times in her life. During a very long labor, we may take turns providing physical support, allowing the other to refuel.
Birth Doula Services
- Complimentary in-person consult
- 2 prenatal meetings
- Assistance in writing a Birth Plan
- Phone/text/email support during pregnancy and for two weeks after the birth
- 24 hour on-call assistance beginning at 38 wks and continuing until birth
- Labor support at your birthing place (home, birthing center, or hospital)
- One follow up appointment in the two weeks after delivery